Friday, August 16, 2013

Customer Service

Oh it's been one of those weeks.

I will spare you the details, and instead share with you lovely country memories.

Like propane tanks and crop dusters.

You know it's been a rough week when propane tanks and crop dusters make you happy.

So, we have this ugly propane tank in our east yard, and we also have lovely, big windows that face the east, and thus, face the propane tank. It was getting kind of scuzzy, but because it's always been there, it's become white noise...well, actually rust and white noise...but we've ignored it. My loving, but oh-so-somewhat-pushy mother (love you, Mom), kept mentioning we could landscape around it. Thanks Mom...I'll do that in between cleaning the bathrooms, wiping runny noses, 18 loads of laundry, delivering a zillion calendars for work, and then I'll plant some bushes.

After that, you'll find me in the corner, weeping.

Anyway, it was bad, but surprisingly, I have developed a high tolerance for rusty propane tanks. They look "shabby chic," right?

Right.

However, I noticed the lovely folks at Central Butane were parked in my yard the other day.

And they were POWERWASHING my tank! It looked less rusty, somewhat cleaner, but I was so thrilled that someone showed up, unannounced, and worked in my yard for me...if only the deck painting fairies would now show up...

Anyway, because I have become so accustomed to this gross tank, I thought a wash was sufficient, but NO! The good people at Central Butane (please give them business) PAINTED my propane tank.

Without being asked.

Without being paid.

Without even coming to the door.

I love them.

Then, to make my country lovin' heart swell even bigger, because I have become the Grinch this week, our crop duster, who although flying nearly 100ish miles over our field, noticed that we had a kids' picnic table on our deck. It is bright, but seriously...this dude is flying, and flying fast, and although low, is still flying.

Joe knows him, so when he saw him out and about, he mentioned to Joe that even though he had waited to do our field near our house until an absolutely still day, and there was minimal drift, we might want to just wipe off that table, because, although it won't hurt us, we shouldn't probably eat off of it until it's wiped off.

That's thoughtfulness, folks.

I know there are some of you freaking out because we crop dust anyway. You are welcome to have your opinion, as we are, too, but know this: I'm not out there taking a big, deep breath of crop dust fungicide, nor am I going to lick my kids' picnic table after our friend applies via the air. However, I do know that we are safe and protected and cared for by loving, kind, and smart people.

These are the people who are helping out in the world of agriculture.

These are the people who are keeping tabs on the safety of your food and fuel.

And they are lovely.

That, my friends, is customer service.

Perhaps Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois or Wal-Mart should take a class from these lovely people.

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog. I too am a farmer's wife and we live in eastern MO. Love your blog and will definitely be following along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot tell you enough how this post warmed my heart! It definitely shows that customer service is still alive and well, at least in the agribusiness community.You do a very nice job of agvocating and bringing truth to the public about what rural life is like today!

    ReplyDelete