Wednesday, January 23, 2013

15 Degrees and Balmy

This morning, as I was fumbling out to my car in the darkness, I realized something.

It was warmer.

Notice I didn't say warm, just warmer.

So, I looked at my car's thermometer, and it was a balmy, 15 degrees!! Whoo-hoo! Double digits, and it's the early morning! What will it be like when the sun comes out??? 25? Dare I say 30 degrees?

It's been cold around here, like, really, really cold...so cold, even the kids notice and want to wear their coats. Have you ever had this happen: it's 25 or 35 degrees, and the kids leap off the bus, sans coat, in short sleeves, and complain of being hot? I'm in three layers, socks and slippers, cracking the door open just enough to let them in the house, and they're HOT???

Anyway, I'm digressing...

it's cold.

And, of course, it's the beginning of calving season, so little calves are being born during these cold conditions. But on a day like today, when it's a whopping 15 degrees, life on the farm is just slightly less stressful during calving season. While Joe is a good herdsman, always checking, shutting in "heavy" girls who look like they're about to calve, trying to keep them warm in the comfort of the barn, one can only do so much when the temperatures are sub-zero.

But today...yippee! It's 15, and only 6:00 in the morning! What promise a day like this will bring, right? The calves who might be born today won't have to brave snow and ice and wind and bitter cold, because 15 is balmy, right?

Sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment