Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Finding a New Normal...For Now

Yesterday was an exciting day for the farmers. On one of our farms, the rain amount was far less than what was received here closer to our house. That meant...

THEY STARTED PLANTING CORN!!!!!

Oh happy day! The machinery was actually PUT to use. The guys were hustling from the morning hours until deep after Dancing with the Stars had finished.

It was a good day.

However, upon heading to bed, Joe reminded me that he'd need to leave early in the morning to either help get started or finish his cattle chores before more planting commenced.

What?

In my sleepy state, I reminded Joe that I have a standing running date with a very reliable running partner.

Then he mentioned softball, which he is the head coach.

Uhh...oh boy. Here we go.

All in stride, Emily...all in stride...

My smartiness changed to sadness and then shifted to reality as I came to the realization that nothing in farming is constant, much to my control-freak scheduled, Type A personality's dismay. I have had to shift nearly everything in my life once I have become a farmer's wife: from PTO activities at school, not singing at church because of calving season, declining offers to vacation with friends because of harvest, so I'm kind of used to it, but when it begins to upset my "everyday" things...

I tend to get agitated.

However, this is the new normal. This is what is going to be the schedule, but only for a little bit, thanks to the ebb and flow of busy-ness in the agricultural field (literally and figuratively). I will survive...I guess, skipping my early morning adult conversation and run for a jog stroller run with a stop at the park (because the kids want to, and not because I'm pushing nearly sixty pounds, right???). The softball team is fortunate to have an understanding assistant coach, and they are ages 8 and under, so it's not like the Olympics. I can tailor my meals to those that still taste okay after being reheated. The kids miss their dad when he works long days, but I will relish the scene played out when he comes home and they come running. That's worth it.

I feel like I have to pep myself up every spring and fall, but I have always come through, unscathed, and get back to my usual routine...

until the next season.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! At least spring doesn't last as long as fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I gave myself a pep talk for Spring 3 weeks ago or so when my Farmer was planting oats. "I'm going to be supportive and nice about him not being able to commit to anything on any day because he might need to take advantage of the weather in the fields/farm equipment might need worked on/etc. I will be nice, I will not gripe, I will put a smile on my face when Farmer walks through the door in his dirty boots." We can do this! Farmwives prepare!

    ReplyDelete