Thursday, January 2, 2014

Batten Down the Hatches, It's 2014!

Highs of -8.

Sub zero windchill.

Bleak.

Frigid.

Depressing.

To my friends, Emily in Minnesota and Katie in North Dakota, this weather is white noise. No biggie. January typical.

To an Illinoisan like me, who is used to the schizophrenic weather we experience, this is darned cold.

What a way to start 2014, eh?

However, this is the beginning of a new year, and with that comes the resolution that I will be more patient, accepting, happy, satisfied, etc., etc. about where I live, what we do, the weather, everything in general.

But, really Mother Nature? Really? -8 for a high within the first week of my resolution to be more zen?

Ack.

Joe detests this weather. It's hard on everything. Water is a factor. It's not water any more…it's ice. There's your science lesson for today.

You're welcome.

While our calves are slated to be mostly born in the early spring, we bought one in the fall, and she's due soon. A birthday during the January cold could be detrimental to a new calf's first days unless careful watch is taken (i.e., constant checks in the middle of the night and throughout the day).

Tractors hate to rev up in sub zero temperatures.

Farmers don't like to get out of warm beds to feed and water animals.

Welcome to 2014!

However, I'm serious. I'm taking this all in stride.

There's nothing to do about it. I can't demand the sun to shine and warm us up, melting the ice for easier watering chores for Joe. I can watch the weather like a hawk, and pounce on the first morning that is above 15 degrees and head out for my run with my friend. I should be grateful for this weather, as my hair is a good smooth blow out, thanks to little humidity.

It's the little things, people.

I promise, I'll whine again about the weather, don't you worry, but for now, I'll jump on the resolution bandwagon, and try to enjoy Joyful January.

Until Freakin' February rolls around...

2 comments:

  1. You summed it up perfectly, Emily. Here's to keeping your Joyful January resolution.
    Personally, I see the entire winter as Freakin' February...but, I guess I'm kinda whiney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the kids get older, you and Joe can stay in the warm house and send them out to care for the creatures. Ask Joe. That's what his dad did.

    ReplyDelete