Friday, June 1, 2012

The Great Steak Sauce Debate

I know, hard hitting content today.

We're cleaning out our freezers (yes, we have TWO deep freezes) in order to make room for a new batch of beef that will be coming to us soon. So, every meal has had beef with a side of pork, or vice versa. No, not really, but we have been planning meals based on what's space consuming in our freezer.

Last night, it was t-bone steaks.

Pretty rough eating, don't you think?

Needless to say, Joe is a master griller, and if he were to ever take up a hobby, it would be grilling. BBQ-ing, smoking meat...you name it, he'd figure out a way to grill it to perfection. He's the family griller, on both sides, a thriller on the griller, if you will.

Anyway, we enjoy our beef. Joe takes great pride in seasoning his burgers, steaks, pork chops with concoctions that make great meat even better.

And he sighs a deep, heavy sigh when I make my little puddle of A-1 next to my steak.

He used to give me a lot of grief about it, but I made my argument, I like steak. I like his seasonings, I just like steak sauce.

I have never considered a puddle of A-1 a slap in the face. It was a staple on our table when we enjoyed beef growing up. "Pass the A-1," did not ever insinuate that my mom didn't do a sufficient seasoning job on her ribeyes, it was just that we, especially my dad and I, enjoyed the taste.

Fast forward to marriage to Joe, the beef dude...a guy who won meats judging competitions and took a meats class in college from one of the top meat professors in the country, and A-1 on steaks was forbidden. A slap in the face. Just...well, unnecessary.

Our girls have been told of the evils of A-1 on good beef. Okay, okay, not evils, but again, unnecessary application of a sauce. They eat their steaks, and yes, even Jack enjoys a steak sans sauce. However, instead of the "what the heck are you doing?" comments, Joe quietly allows me to continually douse my meat in A-1, hoping, that like the children, I will learn to appreciate our beef for its natural goodness.

I'm learning still...so please pass the A-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment