Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day Fourteen: 14

There are roughly 14 pairs of shoes on the loose on our "little porch." The range in style from running shoes to work boots to rain boots to snow boots.

See?


This is just the tip of the iceberg...I didn't count the shoes in the baskets, nor did I take a picture of the other side of the little porch. It's Joe's side, so, naturally, it's a mess.

I say that with love, my dearest, darling, toobusytocareaboutputtinghisshoesaway husband.

Anyway, this is not a post about 14 pairs of shoes. It's a post about the 14 degree temperature swing that constitutes this crazy amount of footwear. 

I have experienced this temperature swing first hand. Schizophrenic weather that has caused us all to be confused.

You see, I get up early to run. Have I mentioned that? (Sorry, I know I have. I have a thing about people mentioning working out on Facebook, or what they're eating, or if they're sick, I detest it. Everyone should work out, eat, and probably will get sick, so enough already...however, if I'm annoying on this blog about running, I apologize.) 

Regardless, I run. 

Early. 

And yesterday morning, it was cold. I'm talking freeze your giblets off cold. In fact, my car thermometer said 17 degrees. As in, brrrrrrr. It was cold and still snowy, most of the day even. The guys thought for sure the snow would eventually melt off, and by yesterday afternoon it had, but not before everyone got a little bit nervous and itchy.

This is what we were dealing with yesterday instead of trying to get closer to done on harvesting corn:


Yikes.

Today, however, it was 31 degrees when I met my running partner, and if you're a math genius, much not like myself, that's a 14 degree temperature change. It may still seem cold to some of you wusses (or smart people) who don't get up at 5:15 AM to run, outside, rain or shine or cold or snow (am I the post office?), but to me and my running partner, Amy, it was like a stinking heat wave.

Oh glorious day! It's 31 degrees!

Not only did 31 degrees means that was I excited to not freeze my face off, it meant that the snow was going to melt off before too long, and the guys can plug away at the fields that need to be finished.

Because you know what's going to happen this weekend? It's going to warm up, probably 14 more degrees each morning, and then rain.

Because, why not go from snow boots to rain boots within a 7 day span? Makes for an interesting shoe bunch, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. We have serious temperature swings here in Montana too - I've laughed about how we have sandals & tennies to mudboots & snowboots all in the same 24 hour period. Can't say it makes for a very "clutter free" mudroom! lol

    ReplyDelete